Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Making Of- and other FAQs

I first designed the color by numbers using Adobe Illustrator. This took a long time. A really long time. A lot longer than I ever imagined it taking! I'm guessing I spent about 18-20 hours working on the design alone. I started out with a crude structure and refined it as I went along. On a separate layer, I blocked out the main areas in basic colors.
I chose 17 of the 24 colors found in the Crayola 24 Pack and assigned them each a number. I then worked block by block, breaking up the space with lines and adding the numbers.
Once we had finished our design we had it printed by Kinkos in the FedEx Store. The design needed to be 8 ft x 8 ft, however 3 ft is the widest they can go on prints. Andy separated the project file into three sections and it was printed off that way.
Next we cut a few blank margins off the paper with exacto knives and used spray adhesive to mount the paper onto Particle Board from the Home Depot. 



When we finished, we laid the particle boards on top of a cart and rolled them over to the library.


We set it up! The next day we brought over the crayons and color keys and watched the project unfold.



Ta-Da!

No comments:

Post a Comment